Common names: spider lily (syn. Ismene festalis), summer daffodil, Sea daffodil, Peruvian daffodil.
Flower color: pale white-yellow
Flowering period: mid June - July
Average plant height: 12 – 24 inches
Planting depth to base of bulbs: bulb just under ground level, neck just above the surface
Spacing between bulbs: 8 inches, or 1 bulb in a 5-inch pot
Type of bulb: true bulb
Light requirements: sheltered and sunny (afternoon sun)
The flowers of the Hymenocallis look more like a daffodil flower than a lily flower and this is why its common names refer to these two flowers. The flowers have a long cup with projecting stamens. There are no leaves on the stem, and the flowers are fragrant. Hymenocallis is suited to growing outside in a sunny spot, but is most often used in pots and containers.
- Hymenocallis 'Advance' - white
- Hymenocallis 'Sulphur Queen' - creme yellow
- Hymenocallis festalis - white
- Hymenocallis festalis 'Zwanenburg' - white (an improved H. festalis)
- Hymenocallis harrisiana - white